Simultaneous interpretation is the type of oral translation which envisages interpretation simultaneously along with a speaker.
Advantages of simultaneous interpretation
- Speech of the speaker is heard continuously. It helps the speaker to maintain the audience’s attention, as well as feel the mood and reaction of the audience;
- The duration of the event is reduced about two times in comparison with the consecutive translation;
- Comfort of the audience: Nowadays knowing foreign languages is not rare, so the audience prefers to listen to a presentation / report in the original language. They are annoyed when the speaker has to stop during consecutive interpretation and wait for the interpreter.
- Interpretation can be done in several languages at the same time;
- Efficiency of the current event raises.
You have to know!
- Relevant equipment is required to ensure the provision of simultaneous interpretation.
- Interpreters are working in turns, due to the intense mental load and tension of the simultaneous translation process. Respectively, each interpreter’s continuous working process should not exceed 20-30 minutes.
- Simultaneous interpreters work in a booth, which is installed at the location of the event.
- Professional simultaneous interpreter will not do simultaneous translation without proper special equipment. He/she will not work alone, as he/she cares about the quality of the implemented work as well as his/her Professional reputation.
During consecutive interpretation, the speaker or participant of the meeting pauses in the end of every sentence and such way gives opportunity to the interpreter to translate his/her speech into foreign language or translate it from foreign language into Georgian, or from foreign language into another foreign language.
As usual, consecutive interpretation is used:
- During business negotiations;
- During negotiations over the phone or skype call;
- During workshops and business meetings;
- During briefings, press-conferences, presentations, exhibitions;
- Receptions, ceremonial events.
Interpreter at the Court
Service of professional interpreter is often required at the Court hearings, with the participation of the citizens of foreign countries.
According to the Civil Procedure Law: “In the case of those who do not possess the language of judicial proceedings, excluding legal entities, the Court gives the right to review the case materials and participate in procedural actions by using an interpreter.” However, the Court itself will provide an interpreter only in exceptional cases.